Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Saturday, March 8, 2008

An Adoption Story...... Shortened Version -- Announcement # 2

A long time ago, I read a book.... "The Family Nobody Wanted" written in the 1950's. It is about a Minister and his wife that couldn't have biological children and they adopted child after child of different nationalities until they had 12 children. It is an awesome book, I just reread it this week. See, it was so good and so important to me that I kept it all these years. I was a teenager when I read it the first time. I knew then that I was supposed to adopt two little girls, that God wanted me to do that. Why girls? I don't know. But that is what I was supposed to do. Maybe it is because in most countries girls are treated differently and worse than boys. They are mistreated a lot. When we got married, Mark didn't want to adopt. For 24 1/2 years he wouldn't even consider it. He had his reasons. And over the years I would mention it every now and then. But no. Some friends, Trevor and Jackie, adopted some children, and I think on about their 4th adoption, there was an article in the newspaper about it. Mark told his administrative assistants, "I am going to be in trouble when Debbie sees this"... I think then God was talking to him and he wasn't listening!! Fast forward a few years from that article...


In March, 2005, our pastor was preaching a series of sermons on the "Fruits of the Spirit". The one on "Faithfulness" got Mark's attention. That night we had a talk and he told me that he was going to pray about adopting and he wanted me to pray to see if God still wanted me to adopt. So for about 6 weeks we went on that way. On the first weekend of May, we had a guest speaker at church and he spoke on "A Step of Faith" on Tuesday after that, Mark called me from work and said he thought we should go ahead and start the process. We did start the process that week!! We decided to adopt two girls, and they would be from Taiwan. We thought that it would be good because we have friends that are missionaries there and we could take them on mission trips to see their homeland. Well, God had other plans.


Heidy "found us" on Precious.org, she was born on Mark's moms birthday, she had a German name, Mark is full blooded German, she had a hip condition that was similar to one Mark had as a child and was in traction for a full year at home. The big plus, is that she was already with the agency that we had decided on. So we called about her and found out she was available, we asked for more information and medicals to take to an orthopedic doctor. We got it the next day and talked to the doctor and prayed about it and over the weekend and Mark and I decided that we wanted her and told our agency on, Monday October the 24, 2005. The catch was, she wasn't from Taiwan... Our little girl was born in Guatemala!!!


Over the next month I got our dossier together and got it to Guatemala and in a few months she came home. Her "Forever Family Day" is March 23, 2006. Her adoption took only 5 months from us accepting her referral until her "forever family" day. It was one of the most exciting, rewarding things we have ever done.


Well, leaving out a bunch of the story, but our agency started working on an Ethiopian program. That is where we felt called to go next, so much for Taiwan!! But it took so long for that program to get up and running that the ole devil, the liar himself, put doubts in Mark's head. So for a long time, I didn't know what we were going to do, even though I still felt we were supposed to adopt again.


The 2nd weekend of February Mark had asked God for a sign. One night, being the famous channel flipper that he is, was flipping channels and got to some channels he never watches and there was a show on a Science channel, about a tribe of people in Ethiopia and how the boys got to be men by running across the back of bulls naked and if they fell, they would have to try again to become a man, and the girls were beaten and showed scars on their backs and everything. He thought to himself, it is a fluke... Well, he decided to go away and think, like he does at times and he went away over night to think and pray. It was the 8th of Feb. When he got there it was a beautiful day and was going for a walk and called me and said pray for me, so I did and told him that whatever he decided for our family I was fine with. If he didn't want to adopt then I would be fine and if he did I would be fine. :-) When he got back to the hotel, he said, I prayed and asked God to show me what we were supposed to do, he said he told God, I have heard of this done and I'm going to open my Bible and I need the answer to be on that page. Well, his Bible opened to Jeremiah 13. Have you ever read Jeremiah 13? He said he started reading at verse 20 and got to 23 and it read "Can an Ethiopian change his skin or a leopard it's spots?" He said, it was like OK, God I get it! He is at peace with it now...... And excited!!


So we are adopting again, this time from Ethiopia. A girl, close to Heidy's age.


Not Taiwan again. Taiwan wasn't the place at all, but it was the place to get Mark to start thinking about it.

We aren't sure when all of this will take place and that is ok, we are at peace knowing that it is supposed to be and it will!!


God has had a plan all along and He is making it come to life..... Please pray for us along this journey!!

32 comments:

Marianne said...

Debbie
Congratulations on your news, another daugther to love and another sister for Heidy. Piece of advice...use a different agency!
Good Luck to you!

Stacey and Dewey said...

Debbie, What a wonderful and amazing story. Congratulations!!!! I'm thrilled for you adopting from Ethiopia. I look forward to following your journey. I have always thought if we adopt again I would like it to be from Ethiopia. You must be so excited!!!
Best Wishes
Stacey

Jewels of My Heart said...

Oh, Debbie...... where do I begin.... first I am so happy for you and for your daughter that awaits her Mama, Daddy and sister in Ethiopia.... How awesome is our God!
I will be praying for you all.
I also want to thank you.... what an inspiration you are..... what a reflection of Jesus you are.... How faithful you are as you rested in the fact that God is on the throne and allowed the Lord to work on and in your husband's heart, in His perfect timing.... You didn't get in the Lord's way, you were a help mate to your husband just as God calls each of us wives to do.
Now me...... (and I didn't have to wait as long as you did, 9 and a half years of marriage) I threw tantrums.... I was bitter, I tried to convince my husband, push my husband, demand of my husband to begin our journey. I am humbled by you.... and inspired.... what a treasure you are to your husband... you are his "riblet". lol
I will be praying for you....
God's Speed

Shari said...

I'm cryiing tears of joy for your family. That is an amazing story! I would love to adopt again, but I am not in a place emotionally or financially to do that. Perhaps one day I will me a man as good as your husband and be blessed with a bigger child. Until then I will follow your journey and live vicariously through you.
God Bless You!
Sharie

Susannah said...

I'm so excited! What a blessing!! I just don't know what else to say, but "yeehaw!"
I'm praying for you
love
Susannah

Beth said...

Oh I just knew it!

I'm so excited for you! You all will be in my prayers the whole adoption through! God bless your journey!

Love, Beth
Your CCI family

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS I have chills!!!!! I am so excited for you all!!!!!!! When you allow God to be in control, everything just falls into place! What steadfast faith you kept. It would be hard to make it that many years without breaking the faith. I cannot wait to follow your process!

Julie (Bailey and Gavin's Mommy !) said...

Oh Debbie... your testimony has brought me to tears ! Congratulations on opening your heart to another one of God's beautiful blessings... a new daughter ! I am so excited to take this journey to Ethiopa with you and will be praying every step of the way !
God Bless-
Julie

day by day said...

Debbie...this is such wonderful news! How exciting! Thanks so much for sharing the story leading up to your next adoption. I always love to hear the different stories of how people come to adoption.

Sharon said...

Wow! Debbie, that is just so exciting and what a wonferful man Mark is, how he follows after God's will for him. We have so many parlelles with your story and hope ours has such a happy outcome also!

I am so excited for your family and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers!!

Robyn said...

What a beautiful story!! I am so excited for you!! I can't wait to follow your journey!!

Robyn

Steffie B. said...

beautiful.....how wonderful for you....can't wait to be on this journey with you!

Tiffany said...

YAY Debbie! And just as exciting is seeing God move in someone's life and heart so obviously. What a beautiful reminder that He is alive today, and in Him, we live, move, and have our being. Blessings on your journey!!!

Anonymous said...

Debbie, this is WONDERFUL news!! I am happy to see that GOD has left your husbands heart open for another child. I look forward to seeing what GOD has in store for your terrific family in Ethiopia.
God Bless,
Kelly
CCI

The Flores Family(Maria, Jose and Jose Luis) said...

Debbie
I am so happy an excited for you!
I remember we chat about this a couple months ago!
Congratulations, looking forward
to traveling this journey with you.
God bless you
Maria

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! I am so happy for you!

April

Andrea W. said...

Very exciting news!!!! I can hardly wait to "meet" your daughter!

Sharon said...

Now the waiting part...I hope it flies by for you. How is your pink car seat? Do they get dirty or is it okay??

Debbie said...

Actually we got the pink car seat at Target and it stays pretty clean. It says, "Very Important Princess" on it and that is what Heidy thinks she is!!!

Debbie

Carr Family said...

Debbie,

I have "God-bumps" as I read your story. How wonderful our God is to speak to Mark and reconfirm His plan for your family. I look forward to following your newest journey!

Blessings,
Amy

Becca said...

Debbie
I am in tears. Thank you so much for sharing your story. And CONGRATULATIONS!

Love,
Becca

Steffie B. said...

have a wonderful day....

Sarah said...

Debbie... I was so excited to check back for your news and then things got crazy at home and I just checked back in! YEAH! Congratulations on your new little girl! I am anxious to follow your journey to Heidy's sister! I remember you accepting Heidy's referral as if it were yesterday!

I hope your journey to Ethiopia is as easy as Guatemala. Good luck!

RamblingMother said...

Congrats I am excited for you!!

Beverly

Anonymous said...

Debbie! WHOOO HOOOO!!!! Beautiful story and I hear Ethiopia is a fairly fast process. Praying for you.

Rachel said...

Oh ((((Debbie)))) I am so excited for you. HaPpY HaPpY HaPpY DaNcE!!! Prayers...

Sharon said...

Just wanted to say hi and hope you are having a great day!!

Mama Bunny said...

This was so beautiful!

Sharon said...

Debbie - WOOHOO! I just can't wait to follow your journey!

Mary said...

I will look forward with great anticipation to our "soon to be" Ethiopian boys meeting your little girl. We already adore Heidy!

Blessings on your journey - and thanks so much for your help with ours!

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

Very exciting Debbie! Thanks for sharing some of your faith journey with us! I was on the edge of my seat as I read!
Smiles,
jen in MI

Bergmama said...

Debbie,
Isn't God marvelous? We had also been praying hard about our decision, and one Sunday I spent the whole afternoon doing research and asking God to help us know what he wanted us to do. The next morning I was on my way to work and I usually listen to a minister on my 30 minute drive. I was also praying while I was listening for God to lead us in the right direction. The sermon ended, so I switched to a music station, and the song that was playing was Africa by Toto!!! I couldn't stop crying for the rest of my drive! It's not a very common song, so what are the chances that it would be playing at that exact moment? I knew that I had received my answer! I am so excited for your family, and I can't wait for our girls to meet each other.