Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sad day at our house......



For 13 years, I have had a constant companion. She had the prettiest fur, the smelliest breath, the best personality, the most awful toots!!, the cutest grin, the biggest toenails, she loved to play footsies, she loved to chew gross things, she was a great pillow, she shed a lot, a good friend, not a good kisser, very tolerant of kids climbing on her, not a good dancer, she was a sliding board for little kids, she thought she was a little lap dog, all in all she was the best dog ever. She was named Kandi Deane D'Angelo, but called Kandi or Kandi Cane, Kandi Deane, Stinkie Dog, and Horse.

We had to put Kandi, our Golden Retriever, to sleep last night and we have a friend that is a Vet, and bless her heart, she came to our house. The girls were in the other room, Mark was keeping watch and I was sitting in the floor holding Kandi's head and crying like a baby and just rubbing her head. And Denise gave her the shot and she showly relaxed and went to sleep. Kandi didn't even resist.

She was tired, old and had arthritis and thyroid problems and we think there was more going on and we had decided it was time. She wasn't in a whole lot of pain yet, but we didn't want her to be either!! It was a difficult night at our house!!



16 comments:

JuJu - said...

So sad for you all -

Beth said...

I'm so sorry about your sweet doggie. It's hard to lose a beloved pet. Praying God gives you peace.

Beth-your CCI friend
Mommy to Isabella Faye

RamblingMother said...

so sorry to hear about your pup.

Beverly

Susannah said...

debbie,
i am so sorry and i pray that God will bring joy to your house and comfort those who need it. It is so hard to loose a pet.
oh, and thank you for all of the encouragement that you have given to me!
love from your CCI friend,
susannah

Robyn said...

Debbie, I am in tears reading your post. I am so sorry for the loss of your precious pup. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!

Robyn

Sharon said...

Oh Debbie, I am so sorry. That is such a hard thing and what a gorgeous dog! You were very brave to do it though.

Thank you for the sweet comment you left and also for telling me how to spell 'nostalgic'! Darn that blogger, when are they going to give back the spell check!?!?!

Do you think you will get a new pup? I wish you didn't have to go through this sad time.

Taylor family: Tim, Becky, Tabitha said...

Debbie,
So sad to read about Kandi. I understand how you all must be missing her. Our dogs aren't pets, they are family and I sense that is how Kandi was to you. May God give you comfort during this sad time. Becky T.

Betsy said...

Ohhh Debbie, I am so sorry for this! I JUST went through the same thing about a month ago with my beloved yellow lab and it is not easy to do. But Debbie, you did the right thing, she didn't need to suffer anymore and she knew she was loved! We have still not arrived at the point that a new pup will fill our hearts, but I hear that is the best thing you can do for your loved pet is to honor them with the adoption of another who needs a home! Something to keep thinking about, I guess.
hugs to your family tonight,
Betsy

Debbie said...

We are thinking of getting the kids a cat. We have a toy poodle too and that helps. But she is lonely now for a furry friend.
Thanks for all the caring from you all, my friends!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Kandi looks like a very sweet dog. I know exactly what you went through. We had a dog when I was a little girl and she brought us much joy. "Sula" was a part of our family for 13+ years. She passed away in my arms of a heart attack. It was so hard to say goodbye, so instead, I keep her memories close in my heart. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.
Elaine from MT

Scott Webster said...

Sorry for the sad news just know she had a great life! We went through the same situation a few years ago and I know how hard it is.

Scott W

Becca said...

Debbie -
I am so sorry for your loss. That sucks. That's the only word I can think of to describe the situation. So sorry, dear friend.

Peace and Hugs,
Becca

Sharon said...

Oh, Debbie - I'm crying with you!
Sharon

Shari said...

Debbie,
I am so so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a pet, especially one who's been with you so long. Two weeks ago I sat with my Dad's dog as he took his last breaths...it was peaceful but still hard. I lost my Dad a year and a half ago and I swear I could still see him in Buddy's eyes.
There is nothing quite like the love of a dog.

Jewels of My Heart said...

Oh, Debbie, I am so very sorry. I understand how heartbreaking it is to say goodbye to such a dear and faithful friend.
I do believe you will be with her one day again in heaven.
God's Peace

Laurie said...

Bless your heart! I was in the same boat this past fall. Your family is beautiful! I loved all the diversity at the Chinese New Year party. How awesome!