Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Center Time at Pre School

I wish I had taken my camera!!!

Today after center time. Miss Natalie, the teacher asked me if I would read a book, it was about adoption. I have known Natalie since she was in first grade and she has known Heidy since Heidy came home and knows that Heidy is very open about it. But, before I said yes, I asked Heidy if it was ok to read a book about adoption and if she wanted to say anything. She said yes. So.... We read "Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born". It's mainly about domestic adoption, but Heidy told them she was born in Guatemala. She had a foster mom and her name was Gloria and we had to come to Guatemala to get her. She told them when she was there she drank bottles and wore diapers, and now she is a big girl and doesn't do those things. It did my heart good that Heidy sat up very confident in herself when she was talking about being from Guatemala. She was not shy about it at all. It makes me smile now just thinking about it!! I love my little girl so much!! It went really well, but I wish I had known about it and I would have taken things from Guatemala and probably a different book. But at least it opened up the thought processes of the little ones. Next week, I am going to take our big Atlas for kids and some things from Guatemala and another book to read about Adoption and make it a little learning series for the kids. Natalie thought this was a good idea.

And I will take my camera!!

2 comments:

Julie (Bailey and Gavin's Mommy !) said...

This story makes my heart sing with happiness... Heidy is a beautiful little girl from a beautiful Country... something to be very proud of.
God Bless~
Julie

Robyn said...

How sweet!! Heidy is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside!!

Robyn & Gabriella