Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Is adoption a bad word???

My friend, Becca, asked this question on her blog and so I thought I would ask here too. Is adoption a bad word? Is it a word talked about in your home openly? Is it a word that your children know? Is the word adopted only okay to use during the right time and in the right place? Or can it only be used by those of us who have gone through the experience? Or do you just love it or hate it in general? Maybe it is not just the word, but the manner and situation in which it is used?

This is one thing that Becca says...
Lately I've noticed the different opinions/reactions that adoptive parents have to the word adopted. I have one friend who has one birth child and one adopted child. She does not like or use the word adopted in her house.

OK, Here is my opinion...

I love the word adoption or any form of it first because God set adoption into motion a long time ago before the world began to adopt us as His sons and daughters, through Christ, his son. And showed us that many times in the Bible, with different people. Can you think of a few? What about Moses, Esther, and Jesus himself, just to name a few....

The 2nd reason I love the word adopted is because it has to do with a choice and an effort.
Now... not to make less of pregnancy, but sometimes that isn't a choice, it just happens. (a couple of mine did!) But with adoption it doesn't just happen, we make a conscious effort to do all the things we have to do to "adopt" our child and /or children.

I could go on and on about ways I love the word adopt or any form of it, we do talk about it in our home a lot and Heidy knows what it is and she prays for her sister, who is still in Ethiopia, because "she will not know us when she gets here" and "to not be crying for her papa" and "to have Jesus shining in her heart". She gets "it" more than a lot of adults do.

And the main reason I love the word adopted is because, Heidy is.... and our next daughter will be.

12 comments:

Shari said...

I couldn't agree more!

Marianne said...

Debbie

It's not the word adopted, I love that Olivia is adopted. I'm proud of her and her hertiage, however in our society right now with what is going on in Guatemala I don't say anything for fear of people thinking she was "Stolen". The whole situation is very sad and I fear that it will effect our children for years to come. When articles are written,agencies are closed and directors are investigated what does that say for our children. So I don't feel it's adoption and what it stands for I think greedy people, lying people and cruel people make the word adoption sound corrupt.

Marianne
fromguatemalawithlove-olivia.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

Marianne, I totally agree!!

Debbie

ANDREEA said...

Sometimes I have to hide that I will adopt because in my country people adopt forced by the fact that they can't have kids.The rest of them don't like the ideea at all!They all have a saing"you don't know what kind of child you can get,what if is bad?"
That is a general opinion on my country,but not all people think like that.
I adopt for my soul,I CAN have children,but I have decided to adopt an angel.That's why so many people around me don't undersand it.And I have to keep it for myself.It's sad..very sad...But someday I will take my angel and live my country(Romania-if you want to know-).
I will go to some nice place where I can be happy and free from any bad judgement.
I love the word ADOPT-I wish I could say it more often.

Jewels of My Heart said...

Debbie! What a beautiful, precious post filled with words of wisdom and truth! Adoption is a beautiful word.... for it is a precious thing.... I am however struggling lately with how many people I encounter one way or another that just don't get it!
My children are not less than.... they are a miraculous, precious gift from the Lord and an answer to my prayers since I was a young child myself. My hope is that our children will always know how precious and loved they are.

Jewels of My Heart said...

To Andreea, thank you for knowing the truth.... adoption isn't a last option.... our children were meant to be ours from before the time God created us... He has always known who our children are.
God's Speed to your baby and God's blessings...

Debbie said...

Andreea, I am sorry you have to keep it a secret where you live. I am glad all people aren't like that. Thank you for realizing that children in other countries need homes too and even though you can have children, CHOOSE to adopt!!
God bless you!
Debbie

Bergmama said...

Beautiful post, Debbie! It brought tears to my eyes!

Steffie B. said...

I think you hit it right on....good post! ;)

Stacey and Dewey said...

Very well said Debbie!!!
I love the word adoption!! My boys at 3 and 1 are to little to understand. But I have bought every childrens adoption book I can find to read to them. I want them to grow up proud of who they are where they both came from and most important proud that they are adopted. Its an amzing experience that I believe is all part of gods plan. I am eternally thankful to be my sons mother.
We have had a few comments from strangers and I am always upfront about the boys adoption. I really believe that for the most part people are just curious, they may not know how to use the "correct" wording or ask the "right" questions so I take the time to explain the boys adoption. So far I have had nothing but positive experiences.
Great post, and one that I think is important to talk about!

Best wishes
Stacey

Becca said...

Debbie - you and I are kindred spirits.

Peace and Hugs ADOPTIVE MOMMA!
Becca

Anonymous said...

You say it sister. Love this!!!