Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Friday, April 18, 2008

I felt the earth move under my feet...... Earthquake!!!

We had a 5.2 earthquake this morning at 4:37. It lasted for 45 seconds!! And we have felt a several aftershocks!! I know for some of you in the western part of the US, this isn't huge, but here it is. The epicenter was about 20 miles from here. It woke Mark and me up and he went running outside because we live close to a huge power plant and I know he thought it had an explosion! But it wasn't that!
One thing that was kind of funny is that Skyler went to check on Doris, our exchange student from Taiwan and she didn't even get out of bed, she said... Oh we have these all the time in Taiwan!! Heidy slept through it but woke up when I was in her room shutting all the drawers and picking things up from the floor that fell and broke. Another thing that was kind of funny, is our poodle, Lilly peed and pooped in the floor!!! Must have scared her terribly!

Thank God we are safe and no one was hurt and there was no damage except a few broken things and pictures off the walls and things like that, just a whole lotta shakin goin on!!

*edit*
Another earthquake hit at about 10:15 that was 4.6 on the scale!! They said it wasn't an after shock, it was an actual quake!! Still no major injuries, thank God!!

14 comments:

Gina said...

Thanking God you all are safe and sound. I was wondering if you all were close to the epicenter. Some around Lexington (and surrounding counties) felt it but we didn't. Thanks for letting us know that you all are okay.

God's blessings to you,
Gina, Mommy to Lucas

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that everyone is okay!! That must have been really scary!

Unknown said...

Wow, that's scary. I heard about it on the news here on the east coast around 6:30am. I didn't realize you were in the midwest. Glad everyone is ok.

Sharon

MICHELLE said...

GLAD EVERYONE IS SAFE AND SOUND.

Taylor family: Tim, Becky, Tabitha said...

Yes, Debbie, thank God it wasn't a bad one! I do remember when we lived there (Southern Illinois) a few minor quakes.
Becky T.

Becca said...

I slept through the first one and was walking outside during the second one - I felt neither one. I'm so bummed!

Peace and Hugs,
Becca

Heidi said...

How scary! Glad no one was injured but your poor poodle! I think animals can sense things extra strongly, maybe that's why she reacted like that!

Looks like Heidy had a fun bday! She is too cute!

day by day said...

Oh, that is scary! I was just talking to a friend of mine telling me a very similar story...you must live close to one another!

Glad everyone is okay!

Have a great week-end!!

Our Family of 5 said...

Thank god everyone is safe and sound! I didn't know you had a Exchange student? The birthday party pics are adorable. Looks like she made out like a fat cat! I am playing catch up on blogs. Have a good weekend!

Stacey and Dewey said...

Wow, I'm so glad your all safe and sound. Earthquakes are crazy scary stuff. Thank god nobody was hurt.
Take care
Stacey

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday to Heidy!! 4 is such a sweet age! That is crazy about the earthquake. I wonder if the mississippi river will be turned off course again!

I am asking John about colleges and will get back to you soon!!

You all take care of yourselves in that shaky environment!!

Beth said...

We felt the effects of the quakes...I was just sure it was the rapture!! : )Took me a few seconds to stop looking into the doorway between the kitchen and living room too see Jesus to realise it was an earthquake!!

Glad you all made it through safely,

Beth
Mommy to Isabella Faye

Betsy said...

Debbie,
I am so glad you were all OK...that must have been pretty un-nerving for yall and the dog.
talk to you soon,
Betsy

Steffie B. said...

So glad you are ok....we felt it here in MI too....I woke up to the bed shaking...very WEIRD!